Feedback

Please let me know what you like or dislike about this blog?

Would you like more bunkai videos, more technique videos, more philosophy, more history, more psychology, or are you happy with the mix as it is now?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Be Sociable, Share!

17 Responses to Feedback

1. admin says:

Hi Matthias
    Thanks for the kind words. I’m honoured that you want to translate them into German, thank you and yes of course it’s OK :)
    Best Regards
    Charlie

2. Matthias Dülp says:

Hi Mr. Wildish,
    having read your article on mokuso, I would like my students to read it (and think about it occasionally when knelling before class:-)). We are Germans though, hence I’d translate it for those who’s English is not that good. Is that o.k. for you? Of course I’ll send you the translation in case you may have use for it.
    The article is very inspiring (see above;-) and I’ll gladly read/see more of your work.
    Best regards
    Matthias

3. admin says:

Hi Kelly
    I’m sorry, but only you can answer that question. If your Sensei is approachable, then I suggest you have a chat and voice your concerns and see what he/she says.
    As for the time put in, that won’t be wasted. Even if you change style, then the grounding that you’ve received so far will still help you. You might also want to go and have a look at some other clubs in your area and see how they train. I would suggest that you just watch the first time so you can take in more information about the club; including checking out the standards of the senior students as that would be what you can expect to achieve from the training.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards
    Charlie

4. Kelly says:

Thanks for your reply. I think then my dojo is more competition oriented, because I haven’t been taught any grab techniques or grab defense techniques. That’s not really what I wanted, to be competition focused, but I have dedicated so much time in my dojo. Should I just stop and just start over from white belt in another dojo? I will feel like all of the time and effort that I put into my dojo has been just a big waste of time and money.

5. admin says:

Hi Kelly
    To see what the main focus of your club is (bunkai or competition) there are several indicators.
    1. If you only practice defending only from against Karate techniques, then it is probably oriented to competition (though it could be bad bunkai). If you practice defences from grabs and haymakers (non-Karate techniques), then it will probably be more bunkai oriented.
    2. If all applications are done from full punch/kick range then it is likely to be competition oriented; if you get close in with grabs, locks, throws, hook punches, etc, then it is likely that it is more bunkai oriented.
    If your club is not practicing what you want to focus on then I would suggest (if possible) that you look around to see what other clubs in the area are doing. As for whether your Sensei will change his training methods, that will vary from Sensei to Sensei. All I can suggest is have a word with him/her about your concerns and see what they say. They may be willing to oblidge, they may not.
    Thank you for your comments.
    Regards
    Charlie

6. Kelly says:

CONT. – If my sensei is focused on competition, moreso, why would he change his training regiment? He teaches many students the same techniques. Do you think he knows about what I am looking for, or just what he teaches? Should I ask him? How should I go about finding these things out?

7. Kelly says:

I have a quick question. How do you know whether or not a karate dojo focuses on more “bunkai” as you call it (i.e. practical application techniques) to competition techniques? Is there anything I should be looking for? How do I go about looking for one that focuses on what I want in my area? And say for example I end up in one that practices practical application over competition and vice versa, and I want to focus on the opposite, how can I go about doing that? Will my sensei change his training regiment to fill my needs? I doubt it, but is it possible?

8. admin says:

Hello Sir

Thank you for your feedback. I’m honoured to have such positive comments from a 6th Dan. I agree, Shotokan and Tang Soo Do are much closer than people would like to admit. Personally, I believe an art is what it is; whether it comes from ancient Korea, Okinawa, or Disneyland; it is still what it is today, so be proud of it and be honest about it :)

I’ve done some Wing Chun in the past too and think its a very good style. I learnt more about my own Shotokan be doing so. I find that when you start, many arts look very different; but the more you study them the more you find they have in common.

I’d be happy to stay in touch and exchange articles sometimes. I had a quick look at your blog this morning – had to be quick as I was going to work :) I like your approach and your obvious modesty. Good blog :)

All the best.

Charlie

9. Kenneth Tang says:

Hello Charlie,

Nice site! :-)

My name’s Kenneth Tang, a Chinese Taekwondoin from Malaysia. Our group is affiliated with the Moodukkwan whose original art was (and is) named Tangsoodo, and as you may well know, the origins of Tangsoodo lies with Shotokan Karate (though most of today’s Korean Taekwondoins would never admit to that)

In any case, I was browsing Youtube and came across your video about Naihanchi’s similarity with Wing Chun, and thought I’d drop you a line. Very nice explanations. I’m practicing Wing Chun as well under a second-generation Ip Man Wing Chun sifu.

I’ve been involved in Taekwondo for the past 34 years (incidentally, I also got my 1st Dan in 1082 when I was 16) and have trained regularly (albeit informally) in Goju-ryu with Goju instructor-friends.

I enjoy your videos and writings, hence this short note to you, hoping that we could keep in touch and perhaps, some time, exchange notes or even publish each other’s articles.

All the best,

Kenneth,
    Moodukkwan Malaysia

10. admin says:

Hi Jason.
    I think most of us Google ourselves now and again, if only to what others are saying about us :)
    I agree with you, it is good to see so many people of all styles looking for real answers. It brings our arts alive. I think it also helps to bring us a bit closer as we realise that we actually have more in common than many realise – or than some like to admit sometimes :)
    I’ve been on courses with Iain Abernethy, Rick Clark and Kevin O’Hagan were Karate, TKD and other stylists all train together regardless of styles and with absolutely no rivalry. Everybody is just there to learn together, and that is how I think it should be. I think it’s brilliant.
    Sorry about getting the link wrong. I have amended the post to reflect the new website. I’m glad to here that it’s back as found some useful articles on there before.
    Yes we do train at the same place (Wells Blue School), but I think we train on different days. But if we are around at the same time it would be nice to say hello.
    Regards
    Charlie

11. Hi Charlie, I stumbled across your site while doing the egotistical thing of Google-ing my name! It is really nice to see that there are so many modern martial arts exponents seeking answers to the questions that arise from performing the traditional fighting arts, most notably from the forms, whether it is the Korean ‘tul’ or Japanese ‘kata’. I found the link to a YouTube video of a pattern application demo that I performed at a tournament on one of your pages & you mentioned my web-site wasn’t working. Well it now is! However, the site address is now professionalmartialarts.co.uk (not the old fighting-spirit URL).
    I also have a funny feeling that we train in the same venue, will say hello next time I see you!
    Regards, Jason (Burgess), Wells Ch’ang-Hon Taekwon-Do.

12. admin says:

Hi Victor
    I would be very honoured if you were to translate the interview into Spanish. Thank you :)
    Best Regards
    Charlie

13. Dear Mr. Wildish,
    My name is Víctor López Bondía. I’m from Spain and the person behind the website http://shotokankaratedo.es
    I’d like to ask for your permission to translate into Spanish your interview with Kousaku Yokota (http://bunkaijutsu.com/2011/07/interview-shihan-kousaku-yokota-8th-dan-shotokan-karate/).
    Yokota Sensei is OK with it. I just translated into Spanish his interviews for “The Shotokan Way”, the “OSS – Our Shotokan Studies” Forum and “MartialLife.com”.
    You are very welcome to check out my translations (http://shotokankaratedo.es/lecturas.php). As you can see, I always acknowledge both the author(s) and the source(s).
    I hope you can grant permission for me to translate the interview.
    All the best,
    Víctor López Bondía

14. admin says:

Hi Richard
    I don’t know very much about Penkak Silat, though I here that its very practical. I’m sure that there is quite a bit of overlap.
    All is very well thank you, how about you?
    Charlie

15. richard kitts says:

Charlie, interesting.to.see where you have.taken your Karate. Im living in Indonesia now, and there is a.wealth of interesting applications in the indigenous Penkak Silat defence styles.

Hope all is well